Monday, February 16, 2009

Cinema Verite

Salesman
More of a fly on the wall documentary, interesting as trailer. Sells the idea well, the repetition of the title screen with Jesus zooming in is effective, perhaps used too often, but stuck in my mind. The music fitted perfectly and was what I remembered afterwards. It gave the piece an ironic tone which fitted the material, surprisingly it made me take the trailer more seriously, and see the men as mercenary despite the music being upbeat. This was down to the marrying of the two I think.

27 stories
There was too much speech in this trailer, unlike the Salesman which had selected pieces, there seemed to be a lazier approach here. I didn't like the feeling that I was seeing chunks of the finished piece, I preferred the taster trailer the Salesman used. This was too wordy and didn't grab my interest or attention. Due perhaps to the limited space in the lift the camera work doesn't feel as good either.

JFK 1960
The JFK 1960 video's use of a voice over was interesting. While at first I liked the idea of a voice over, the formal tone was alienating. I like the way it is used to introduce each section, but when it speaks over JFK I found that distracting. As the sound was split between the two, JFK's speech drew my attention, but the voice over made it hard to hear. Obviously my attention was supposed to be on the voice over, perhaps a fault. The JFK could have been muted for example. The use of different angles when JFK was static for his speech was good, as it broke up the footage making it easier to watch. The audience question being read by the voice over was also strange I would have prefered to have heard the person ask the question. The whole clip was obviously propaganda, political statement. In that sense it was successful.

Director of Education
The use of one pov was understandable here as it would have distracted the interviewee to have different camera angles. One pov is usual for this type of interview as well. The camera shook a bit in the beginning which I found distracting, which also drew my attention to the sudden zoom. perhaps choosing either a set shot on the interviewee would have been better or the distant shot including the interviewer. I preferred the former.

Leaders, Driver and Driver's wife
This video looks more professional to the others, I like the use of the subtitles for his speech rather than a voice over translation. This way the charisma of the speech and the reacts weren't lost and there was no distraction. The build up to the speech was all well done as it set the tone, showing the seriousness, showing the camera men etc at points was all well placed. It reminded me when watching that they were actual there, breaking the tension.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates